Thursday, January 30, 2014

Nip & Tuck - Image Obsessed

While being surrounded by an image obsessed world, it is hard not to fall snare to the lies and the desire for (perceived) "perfection." I've written about and spoken with several people about body image and the struggles that most of us face when it comes to obtaining this unrealistic goal of beauty. It is not just a girl thing. It's a human thing. Girls try to slim down, guys try to bulk up - you know, typical stereotype stuff.

I have mentioned in my spoken word, briefly, about my struggles with my image. But if I'm honest with you, I have researched costs for liposuction, tummy tucks, boob lifts, teeth whitening, and unfortunately, lots more ridiculous "Body Enhancements," aka. plastic surgery. Sounds crazy to some - but in a world where I can't go a day without seeing the "ideal" girl on a Billboard, Internet ad, Television show, Magazine cover, Movie or walking down the street, it is hard not to let the "You're not good enough," thoughts cross my mind. Maybe a little nip and tuck is the perfect solution?

It would be my great pleasure to share how I've overcome and conquered my worries, insecurities, and body image issues, but unfortunately, I'm still working on finding freedom from destructive thoughts. I have not arrived - I know - shocking!

But, on my journey to finding peace and contentment with my body, I have decided to unveil my insecurities and share them with you. Come on, who doesn't like the feeling of being exposed and vulnerable? (And to the few people who don't mind it - you are a braver soul than I!)

I have a weakness for visual expression, so I decided that the best way to bare my soul for all to see, is to create a video that embodies my struggle and my fight! I am combining music, still photos and video footage to speak the message that my heart still wrestles with.

My hope is to encourage the person who feels shame, disgust, frustration and discouragement when they look in the mirror. I also hope that you will come along my journey while I continue to redefine how I see myself. I'm working on rewiring my thoughts - if you are doing the same, cheers! You are not alone!

I give everything over to You Lord

No comments: