Thursday, August 5, 2010

August First

(2008)

       Each year, there's an August 1st, but since I met my best friend Brittany it hasn't always been a normal August 1st.  August 1st has turned into a day of celebration for me. A celebration of life, change, growth, beauty, strength, overcoming, and love. That's some of the inspiring words that describe my best friend. I absolutely love seeing how far we've both come in our friendship and separately throughout our lives. Our ability to admit when we're wrong, stand up for ourselves when we know we're right, and sometimes being able to just 'be'. 
      
       I was so blessed to be able to make another birthday of my gorgeous best friend. We met when we were young but didn't like each other until she was 13 and I was 14.  And I'm proud to witness her 20th birthday, what a beautiful day August 1st is becoming for me, each year. 
     
       The birthday party started at her mom's house for dinner, chatting, presents, and cake, and eventually moved back to Brittany's house for some music, dancing, coffee, and games. Everyone took off so fast that Brittany and I left last and drove together. We pulled up to her adorable house and just sat there for awhile and talked. Even though everyone was inside already. I don't think she really knew how much it meant to sit in my car and chat like when were 16 and 17. Laughing and just being real for really not much more then 10 minutes. I held back tears the whole time because I sometimes forget how much I cherish people but Brittany in particular. Often times I wish I could wrap her up in my arms and make sure she's safe all the time. But I suppose God's bigger then the length of my arms! It was just so beautiful to hear the realizations Brittany is having in her life in terms of relationships, family, and the inside depths of how she's made. She's amazing.
     
       Now, her birthday may not been exactly how she wanted it. She got text messages she didn't deserve. Twice. People may not have danced enough to her liking (you can never have enough dancing). But she looked beautiful, got to spend it with people she loved, and I'm just blessed that I was one of the lucky that were invited. She's a great best friend, with a great big heart! I will probably forget the songs played at her birthday, maybe what she was wearing, all her roommates names, but I think I'm gonna remember, for a long time, our simple yet short and intricate conversation parked outside the front of her home. So special! 

(2010)

I give everything over to You Lord

No comments: